[support] email archives as drupal nodes

Geoff O'Callaghan geoffocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 04:03:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 14:14 +0300, Reinier Battenberg wrote:
> @ To archive previous messages you would
> have to find a way to re-send them to the special mailbox you create
> as part of setting up Mailhandler/Listhandler.
>

> We did the 're-sending' recently just by using IMAP. So, you load them in your
> (Thunderbird/Kontakt) client in 1 mailaccount, then create a second
> mailaccount that points to your new server where you want to import from.
> Drag the mails over to the new mailaccount, and synchronize. IMAP handles the
> uploading of the original emails.
>
> What gave us a lot of trouble was the fact that all senders of emails need to
> have an account *before* you import the emails. There is no "if this sender
> does not exist, then create the user" or "If the sender does not exist, then
> post as Anonymous" setting, AFAIK.

Thanks for the heads up.   I tweaked the code to create nodes with a
specific 'unknown' user account when the email address wasn't
registered.   Probably should submit a patch to add the functionality,
seems that most people would run into this problem - haven't thought
through all the ramifications of doing it this way yet ;-)

Cheers
Geoff