[support] Newbie Qs

Timothy Washington timothyjwashington at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 21 17:18:53 UTC 2009

Hey there, see inlined comments...

________________________________
From:Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com>
To:support at drupal.org
Sent:Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:30:36 AM
Subject:Re: [support] Newbie Qs

Tim,

Welcome to Drupal... it's awesome... hand in there with the learning curve.

1. Check here: admin/content/node-type/page/display (change "page" to be the content-type you are dealing with. Or just go to: admin/content/types then click "manage fields" and then "display fields." However, I believe the default after adding fields is for them to display. So your story is curious. It's always a good idea to clear cache! However, if you are logged in while viewing the page I doubt it is a caching issue. (FYI its real easy to clear cache when you have the following two modules installed: devel admin_menu) Write back with more details if this persists. You can also clear cache at the bottom of: admin/settings/performance
Indeed I wasn't able to see the new fields after I added them. I don't know what switch was flipped off. Now the page isn't even showing after fiddling with user permissions to view the fields (and the content is definitely published). I also cleared the cache, but I need to see the pages now to see if that worked.

2. Which .tpl file did you change and which theme are you using? Note that it can be confusing at the beginning when to change page.tpl.php or node.tpl.php. You do need to clear the theme registry after changing a .tpl page. To clear the theme registry, go to the theme settings page for the theme you are using. Here is the theme settings page for Garland:
- admin/build/themes/settings/garland
Then click save at the bottom (even if you didn't change anything) and your theme registry will be cleared.
The files I am using are: ./sites/all/themes/gamut/node-<my_files>.tpl.php. It's hard to know which CSS applies though. I've tried to directly insert style elements that turn off image repeating in the element, but I'm still getting the problem seen here:
http://fto.digitalrhino.biz/gallery/Gallery-1

3. Your URL that you gave for the example required a log-in, do you have a screen shot? I don't really know what you mean by make an image span two fields. "Have text split into two columns. With the views module it's very simple to output fields in tabular format. If you mean, "Can I present content in one field in tabular format?" The answer is yes. As long as that field is not "plain" text (set when you set up the field) and the input format that you choose when doing data entry allows the html tags you need (e.g. <table>), then you can do anything you want. If you use the "full html" input format that will surely work, though be careful with that not to give privilege to use full html to too many people. You can add allowable tags to the filtered html input format.
Oh, sorry about that. See attached image.

4. The home page in Drupal is set at the site information screen: admin/settings/site-information
You can set it to any URL. It could be an individual node, a view a panel page (if you have Panels installed), whatever. It's possible the content was not deleted. I always recommend newbies to visit the content listing page often, cause that usually answers the question, "Where did my stuff go?" dmin/content/node/overview
Let me check this out.

Thanks a lot
Tim

http://www.flickr.com/gift/