[support] Newbie Needing View Walkthrough

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Jul 28 07:36:55 UTC 2009

With Views for D6, one "View" can create a lot of different "displays." So
on your main views editing page top left, click on the drop down just above
"add display" and choose, "block" and then click "add display." This is for
your block. Row type will be "fields" by default which is good, no fussing
there. Click the "+" link in the "fields" section, then limit all the
choices by selecting "node" and then select "Title" assuming you want the
links in the block to be node titles. If you want some other field
represented in the block, a field that you created with CCK for example,
then you can limit your field choices by clicking on "content" in the drop
down after you've clicked on the "+". (Note... "content" in Drupal is often
a code word for "custom field." Not intuitive unless you know that "CCK" is
an acronym for "Content Construction Kit" which was all about adding field
flexibility in Drupal.)

Before I go further, a BIG Views tip: clicking on "update display" does
absolutely NOTHING to the database. You MUST click on "save" (down and to
the left of where the update display link is) for it to change anything. My
habit is to click on save after every adjustment I make even though you
don't have to. You can make several changes and then save them, but every
time I get out of the habit of saving after each change I end up losing
work. Yes a lot of clicking and waiting a couple seconds... but Views is so
darn powerful it's worth it.

You'll want to filter your results, otherwise every node in your install
will show up. And you can sort, etc.

Now getting it to display... This view will now show up under in the
disabled section of block admin and you can place it wherever you want.

(Hint about block admin. If you see "delete" next to a block, you created it
via clicking on "add block" while you were in the block admin. All the
blocks that are sans a "delete" link were made by another module,)

As for inserting a view into a node, you can use
http://drupal.org/project/insert_view. Another way is to create a view of
just the one node and then attach your view using Views attachment system to
the first view of the one node.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Drupal is awesome!

Shai