[support] login with email and/or "hiding" user.name

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Jul 31 13:00:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:35:47 -0300
Leandro Monk <monk at cafelug.org.ar> wrote:

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo escribió, El 31/07/09 08:27:
> > Hi all,
> > I've to move users from a legacy system to D5.
> >
> > In the legacy system the user name for login was the email.
> >
> > Users will produce some public content.
> >
> > In many places drupal uses the user.name to refer to users but I
> > can't of course use users' emails to refer to users.
> >
> > I can't even force the users to change the way they login. So
> > they have to continue to be able to login with email, password.
> >
> > One way would be to automatically fill name with something
> > auto-generated during import and change the login process
> > (looking for some clean idea that won't involve changing core,
> > form_alter?).
> >
> > Any other suggestion?

> http://drupal.org/project/logintoboggan

Thanks!

I remember I already grabbed some code from there.
At that time I was interested in learning how to redirect to
different places users after login. I didn't remember the module
also provided logging in with email too.

Since a lot of urls already contains uid I think filling the
users.name with uid at import time doesn't look a bad idea.

Maybe to improve user experience what's missing now is to ask to
change the "nick" when the user will try to add his first content.
Not really sure if it could be something appreciated/useful for most
users.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it