[support] Drupal .htaccess blocks access to domain in subfolder

Steve Edwards killshot91 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 4 21:39:01 UTC 2009

I'm trying to set up a Drupal site in a subfolder on my shared hosting
account as it's own domain, and for reasons I can't understand, I get a
403 - Permission Denied error when I try to access it.  I have a D5 site
in my /public_html directory (www.mydomain.com), and the new site is a
D6 site in /public_html/domain2 (www.domain2.org is using that folder).
The name servers for domain2.org are pointed to the correct name
servers, and I've added the domain as an addon domain on my account.

I contacted my ISP, and they said the problem is the .htaccess in
/public_html.  If it is renamed (i.e. to .htaccessold), then I can
access domain2.org, but I can' go to any page in my mydomain.com, since
it's using clean URLs and the .htaccess contains the rewrite rules.
I've done this setup multiple times before, and I've never had this
problem.  Can anyone explain what the problem is and how I would correct it?

Thanks.

Steve