[support] Trying to Understand How Data in the DB is Exposed to Search

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:24:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:
> Trying to understand how search works, both Google and Solr.
>
> So lets say I have a node/1234. There are no links to it on example.com.
> However, links to it will dynamically show up in a view if the right choices
> are made by a user via exposed filters.
>
> My guess is this won't be exposed to Google but would be exposed to Solr.
> Anybody know?

As is often the case, "it depends."  Solr will definitely know about
the node.  Google might.

First, Google is starting to post HTML forms to get at more data.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/04/crawling-through-html-forms.html

Second, if the node has any taxonomy terms on it that are included in
links somewhere, or it is available via an "archive" block or in a
user's "tracker" page...then Google will find it.

Finally, if none of those apply you can use the XMLSitemap module to
let Google (and other search engines) know about the content
http://drupal.org/project/xmlsitemap

Regards,
Greg

--