[support] Links Available "Conditionally" Within the Same Block

Moses Elias iom at netvision.net.il
Fri Mar 20 16:22:09 UTC 2009

John said:

>> If these links went to actual pages (that contained more information,
integrated web forms, additional links), then you can set >> access controls
to those pages, such as through Content Access/ACL.   I am not sure but I
think the Drupal menu system will >> take the page permissions into account
before displaying the menu links.  I could be wrong though.

Unfortunately Drupal isn't so straightforward as to provide a one to one
relationship between an accessible/inaccessible node and the permissions
page (which would have been great). One has to fiddle and experiment for
quite some time before the relationship is clear sometimes.

Besides the path to the nodes in question are defined through a View (and
not a page) and so I believe Content Access/ACL will be redundant. How do
you grant access to a _View_ based on role? Is there a way? Please correct
me if I am wrong?

Moses

  _____

If these links went to actual pages (that contained more information,
integrated web forms, additional links), then you can set access controls to
those pages, such as through Content Access/ACL.   I am not sure but I think
the Drupal menu system will take the page permissions into account before
displaying the menu links.  I could be wrong though.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584
Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu

Moses Elias wrote:

I have a block in a sidebar with 3 menu items. Call them A, B, and C.

1) A is available to authenticated users.  It allows them to create new
groups once they are authenticated. Creating a group automatically promotes
the creator to being a group member and a group admin.

2) B is available to authenticated users, who are members of or have created
one group at least. It allows them to post to a group.

3) C is available to authenticated users, who are members of or have created
one group at least. It allows them to invite users to the group.

How do I conditionally give authenticated users access to links on the basis
of their roles within the same block (and not separate blocks)?

What I have found so far is that either the entire block is visible or
invisible. What I want instead is that some of the links should be present
under certain conditions while at other times not.

Moses

  _____