[support] MyISAM vs InnoDB

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Mar 23 11:33:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:44:43 -0400
Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:

> > It really depends on what you need to do. If you don't know it
> > I'd go for MyISAM since most of the features you may be looking
> > for in InnoDB are not really fully exploited by stock Drupal.

> Well, not yet anyway. http://drupal.org/node/301362

Supporting MyISAM, sqlite and advanced (I'd say standard) features
of serious RDBMS doesn't look a viable way to develop drupal (unless
the DB abstraction layer is outsourced, but this would(?) be more
suited for another flame ;) )

I consider normal to add "ON DELETE CASCADE" actions, but to
replicate it transparently in PHP it is a hell of a work.
And that's just one example.

My point is:
- if you're not using "advanced" features and you're not constrained
  by concurrent writes MyISAM is good enough. I'd say MyISAM may be
  even better suited to Drupal than InnoDB. None of the two engines
  is famous for data integrity after all.
- if you're using advanced features, you're constrained by
  concurrent writes, you can't afford data loss and you didn't
  invest too much in MySQL there are better engines to look at.

Choosing InnoDB would be just a matter of how much you invested
in MySQL.

I don't think that once you're faced with these problems your hosting
offer is a real concern.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it