[support] MyISAM vs InnoDB

Pierre Rineau pierre.rineau at makina-corpus.com
Mon Mar 23 14:11:51 UTC 2009

PostgreSQL is a way better than MySQL, about all topics.
The only thing on which MySQL could be better, is maybe it's faster on
read operations on small databases.
But, in fact, PostgreSQL can handle correctly really BIG databases, with
a really big amount of data, and is easier to cluster.
PostgreSQL is more stable, secure, and a more efficient and flawless
with stocked procedures and triggers.

If you have to choose between MyISAM and InnoDB, if I were you, I'd
choose InnoDB, it's a lot more stable. MyISAM may be faster and eat less
disk space, but you may have really bad surprises with your data
integrity.

In the company I work for, we used to make a MySQL intensive use, the
first monthes, we abandon MyISAM for a lot of obvious reasons. And right
now, we are abandoning MySQL in flavor of PostgreSQL.

We still use MySQL for Drupal, because a lot of module developpers still
can't write standard SQL, but, if all modules were PostgreSQL aware, we
would not use MySQL at all.

This a my opinion, from my experience, I may be wrong.

Do the right choice, don't do IT :)