[support] MyISAM vs InnoDB

Michael Prasuhn mike at mikeyp.net
Mon Mar 23 18:43:58 UTC 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Could you confirm that row-level locking means that you can do
> multiple INSERTs at the same time?
>
> Suppose that you are going to do 50 INSERTs in one transaction (my
> non-Drupal site does this at one place). Can two users do the 50-
> INSERT operation at the same time?  (the application is a markbook/
> gradebook - the inserts are the marks/grades for 50 students).

Well there are some gotcha conditions, if you have a WHERE clause in
your update, it must be using an index, otherwise it has to do a table
scan, and locks the whole table. Also, any inserts using an auto-
increment column will lock the entire table to prevent duplicate values.

> I thought that InnoDB was supposed to be faster for reading. At
> least, for reading rows that are related by index (e.g. users 1-20
> assuming that "user id" is an index).

Please see http://2bits.com/articles/mysql-innodb-performance-gains-as-well-as-some-pitfalls.html
  for some examples.

-Mike