[support] Clean URL Problem with Drupal 5

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:07:43 UTC 2009

The following is extracted from my online article "Drupal Develoipment
Server" http://awebfactory.com.ar/node/345:

Ubuntu:

In order for clean URLs to work in Drupal, you need to enable .htaccess
files and install mod rewrite. First I edited
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.

Before (lines 10-18):

<Directory /var/www/>
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all

After:

<Directory /var/www/>
AllowOverride All

Then I executed the following in order to enable mod_rewrite and restart
apache server:

# a2enmod rewrite
Module rewrite installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.

# apache2ctl restart

The apache server restarted ok, but I got this pesky error:

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName

I edited /etc/apache2/apache2.conf and added a ServerName directive just
under the ServerRoot directive:

ServerRoot "/etc/apache2"
ServerName hostname

Where hostname should be whatever you get when you execute "hostname". You
should get an error message free apache server restart now.
Restart apache server:

$ apache2ctl restart

And you should be good to go for clean urls

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
http://projectflowandtracker.com