[support] Drupal files synchronization

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Wed Nov 4 16:03:11 UTC 2009

This really depends on the nature of the site. If the site is
basically a content provider -- a limited group of users are logging
in and adding files -- you can send all the logged in users to one
server. In that scenario, rsync works fine. one way to do that is to
require https for logins and direct all https requests to the key
server.

If you are running a site where everyone logs in and adds files, ala
Facebook, you'll need more sophisticated file management. If you have
only three servers in a single location, you might consider putting a
single NFS file server behind them. Bigger setups use SANs.

2009/10/22 Ivan Working <workingivan at hotmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> My company is using 3 Drupal servers with load balancer to distribute the
> load.
> The problem is the files in sites/default/files folder need to be
> synchronized
> among these 3 Drupal servers.
>
> I am thinking of using rsync for this purpose but I heard rsync may not be
> the
> best way to do it since it shouldn't delete the files so the number of files
> will
> grow quickly.
>
> Has anybody used rsync to synchronize the files?
> Is there a better method to synchronize files in sites/default/files?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> Ivan

> New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company
http://chillco.com