[support] What is the best shopping module for Drupal 6?

sebastian inforazor at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 17:45:04 UTC 2010

Hi Shai,

Well, I know someone already rewrote the code for one of the extentions,
I think it was either the discount or the rules system, but his code was
not accepted into Ubercart 2 from 1... which was totally demoralizing
and he then left the project. I've had other developers look at the code
and balk too, but if code releases are not being adopted, its hard to
expect anyone to spend the time rewriting parts of it from the ground up
[which is what needs to happen on several aspects of it, attributes are
also poorly constructed in the database, to name one more].

Ubercart team would really have to want to address this as a fundamental
refactoring before it would make sense for anyone to want to commit
serious time to the project.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a simple shop, and you don't ever expect
to need to do some serious import/export work or need some complex
business rules for non-"normal" activities [normal as defined by what
Ubercart can do], then you are fine and Ubercart is adequate.

I've had to do an Ubercart 1 -> 2 upgrade with a Dupal 5 -> 6
conversion, and the client's product list of 500+ items is fundamentally
limited. We (2 devs + myself] can't implement his needed business rules
without rebuilding aspects of Ubercart from the ground up, and our
client simply doesn't have the budget to fund such a massive endeavor.

Sad to hear nothing else is available for D6, I hope this will get
addressed in the future, or that a different [more powerful/better
architected] platform will be integrated.

Kindly,

S.