[support] Installing via Ubuntu apt-get

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Apr 26 19:00:21 UTC 2010

I am a long time Debian/Ubuntu power user, and am very fond of apt and its
tools.

That said, if I were you, I would not use the version available from apt.
Apt is very good at what it does, but handling the details of a CMS for
you is probably not one of those things.

At least according to my installation here, the current version of D6
available from apt, is 6.10.  That alone should make you rethink.  (I
apologize if another version of ubuntu has a more updated package, but
still).

I would not trust apt to upgrade anything but a very simple drupal site
anyway, so the advantages of the package manager are rather limited in
this case.

Drush is something else entirely--apt will not handle module installations
in drupal for you; drush will, among other useful things.

As for the location of files: Ubuntu/Debian have their own way of placing
files, as do all other distributions.  For example, web files usually go
somewhere under /var/www.  That makes perfect sense to me, but maybe not
to someone else.

I just download my own drupal tarballs, and open them under /var/www, or
in whatever other directory seems appropriate, and go from there.

One thing apt is certain not likely to handle for you, is multiple drupal
installations on a single system.

Regards,

Luke