[support] How to diagnose available updates check failure on fresh install

Maurice Mengel mauricemengel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:12:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

I had this issue, too when I started, but cannot remember the remedy.

I looked it up on drupal.org, e.g. http://drupal.org/node/215685

But I don't find the right thing either (and I usually find my answers
there).

Drupal's INSTALL.TXT has this passage which is not very specific:
 Various Drupal features require that the web server process (for
  example, httpd) be able to initiate outbound connections. This is usually
  possible, but some hosting providers or server configurations forbid such
  connections. The features that depend on this functionality include the
  integrated "Update status" module (which downloads information about
  available updates of Drupal core and any installed contributed modules and
  themes), the ability to log in via OpenID, fetching aggregator feeds, or
  other network-dependent services.

Another suggestion from one of the above mentioned issue was to raise the
max execution time of your php.

Anyways, this is likely a server issue, so it depends more on you webserver
than on drupal.

Hope that helps a little