[support] Backup/Restore strategy

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Wed Feb 24 16:44:20 UTC 2010

How large is "too large"? Both mechanisms you chose depend on PHP
configuration.

Do you have shell access? A combination of

mysqldump -uuser -ppassword database>database.sql

-and-

mysql -uuser -ppassword database < database.sql

will backup and restore a database.

Most hosting environments have a MySQL backup and restore mechanism.

Jim

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Kieran Lal <kieran at acquia.com> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> 2010/2/24 Kieran Lal <kieran at acquia.com>:
> > Hi Scott, if your search tables are that big, then Drupal is unlikely to
> perform well with it's native search. MySQL will be burned managing those
> large tables and slow your entire Drupal site down. I suggest you segment
> your load by using an external search engine like Apache Solr,
> http://drupal.org/project/apachesolr. This is what we use on Drupal.org.
> >
> > If you don't have the ability to quickly set-up Solr in a Java
> environment, you can create a free 30 day subscription at Acquia.com to try
> hosted Apache Solr search. Installation instructions are here:
> http://acquia.com/documentation/acquia-search/activation . This would
> allow you to reduce your DB size, and get higher quality search.
>
> I should specify, that with the smaller db size, your DB backup
> strategy should continue to work.  If you DB is still too big, then I
> suggest you move to a MySQL master slave DB configuration and do
> direct back-ups from the MySQL slave DB instance.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieran
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kieran
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Scott <scott at bscottholmes.com> wrote:
> >> I have a site that has become too large to effectively use the backup
> >> and Migrate module.  I've just finished updating the site from my
> >> development platform and in order to migrate the latest version of the
> >> database I had to exclude the search_index table from the backup.  To
> >> get around this I did backup the search_index table using phpmyadmin and
> >> importing it separately.  Neither drupal nor phpmyadmin would restore
> >> the entire database as a single file.  Does anyone have any
> >> recommendations to improve this situation?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance, Scott
> >>
> >> --
> >> [ Drupal support list | http://lists.drupal.org/ ]

Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA