[support] Weird Memory Issue on an Install

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Sun Feb 28 10:10:17 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:

> When I clear cache via Drush, I get a memory error:
>
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to
>> allocate 19456 bytes) in
>> /dev/sites/all/modules/better_formats/better_formats.install on line 99
>

> The same error comes up over and over but references different modules, so
> I think the module listed here is irrelevant.
>
> I have a dedicated server and I do not experience this problem on other
> sites installed on the same server. The php.ini file sets the memory limit
> at 256M for this site.
>
> Cache clears via the Drupal UI but, takes a really long time (like 30 sec).
>
> Turning Views and modules dependent on it OFF fixes the problem. But of
> course the site is useless without Views. I'm using Views 2.8.
>
> I have no idea if it is related... but all the theming goes away when I
> turn on "optimize css."
>
> Any ideas about the problem or how I should go about troubleshooting it
> would be most appreciated.
>
> Shai

1. Disable Gzip Compression of pages by PHP. Use mod_deflate
2. Enable mod_cache & mod_disk_cache
3. Use xcache/apc/eaccelerator.
4. Use mod_fcgi or mod_fastcgi instead of mod_php.

This is do with site problems.

Now, come to drush problem.

I was facing something similar.

Some solutions I found was -

Compile PHP with CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march i686" (i686 or relevant)

Same CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for mysql/pgsql.

This enables PHP to run faster.

Set vm.swappniess = 100 (default is 60).

This will NOT degrade performance, but increase it by a little. If you set
higher values then it WILL DEGRADE.

Report back.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan