[support] School Archiving

Christopher M. Jones cjones at partialflow.com
Fri Nov 26 16:36:43 UTC 2010

Document management traditionally has been a weak spot in Drupal because
-file- management always has been a weak spot. D7 offers many
improvements in this regard, but IMHO you had better stick with 6 for now.

I should think you'd be interested in primarily two modules:

1. Filefield and friends

2. File Framework

Filefield is the most popular, most supported method of uploading files.
You should use this if at all possible.

File framework lets you do something of what you're talking about by
offering automatic, background conversions of files to other formats.
So, for example, if you have a .doc then it can be uploaded and
converted into pdf. If you have a .doc, or a pdf that can be converted
to text, then there is a text-only preview which shows in a disabled
fieldset. (View but not download). But File Framework takes a LOT of
finicky set up, has lots of dependencies, and is not planned to be
ported to D7. So no upgrade path.

The problem with the 'view but not download' requirement is that it's
virtually impossible to achieve. All you can do is set up roadblocks to
make people have to work to nab your stuff. The disabled fieldset
mentioned above would be one way to do this. Another way would be to
integrate a flash based viewer. Do your research; there are viewers
oriented to document display.

If you are scanning documents and not running them through some sort of
text recognition software then you've got images, not text. This means
that the content of  your documents can't be indexed and searched. So
tagging them will be crucial for you. (And file framework, mentioned
above, is off the table).

For tagging you should make extensive use of taxonomy. You may also want
to look at RDF. Combine this with apache solr and you've got the
possibility for a really usable archive.

Addendum: assuming you are uploading images of documents into
filefields, you would make each document a node, each page one of a
multiple valued imagefield. You would then use a slideshow plugin (many
available) to allow users to page through your documents.