[support] Drupal 7 Multisites

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Apr 11 09:08:18 UTC 2011

Jason and all
Thanks for your reply
I apologise for the errors in my previous email.

I have /var/www/html/d7b3 on my local machine.

The reason I used drupal 7 beta 3 is because I could not get Drupal 7 to
render Cyrilic text nor could I get it to put images on pages with CCK
and CKEditor.  CKfinder gives error message "System Error".
D7b3 does not give errors, renders Cyrillic text and puts images on the
page/s.
I tried all the updates..alpha and beta updates for drupal 7 and only
drupal 7 beta 3 would perform correctly.

> If I'm understanding what you posted correctly (and taking into account that
> some of the information you presented is inconsistent), your web server is
> configured to show "/var/www/html" as it's root, which is represented in
> your browser as "http://localhost/".

Yes. This is correct

> In the "/var/www/html" path you have the "drupal7" directory, so that
> navigating to "http://localhost/drupal7"

Apologies, this should have read  http://localhost/d7b3
I can navigate to that and it starts.

> "http://localhost/site_au" shows "Not Found" because you don't have the
> "/var/www/html/site_au" path on your computer

> You also don't have the "site_au" directory in the "/var/www/html/drupal7"
> directory, nor do you have Drupal configured to use the "site_au" path for
> anything, which is why you're getting the second error in your Apache log.

I have site_au in the /var/www/html/d7b3/sites directory.Is this
correct?
I had it in the /sites/default directory but it still did not work.
It contains /files and settings.php.

> Drupal isn't going to use the configuration in "/drupal7/sites/site_au.org",
> since Apache isn't configured to serve "http://site_au.org".
>
> It will be easier to help you if you tell us what you're trying to do. I can't
> tell you what to do, because it seems you are trying to go down two different
> paths simultaneously, and I don't know which one you actually want.

Thanks, this is what I'm trying to achieve:

I need to set up 2 multi sites in d7b3, or, if drupal7 would work then I
would use that. I would prefer to leave the /default drupal in tact and
have site_au and site_ru as the operational working sites.

The site_au will contain the english version of about 32 pages of text
and images.
site_ru the Cyrillic/Russian text will be virtually the same 32 page
layout but with text cut and pasted into CKeditor from MSword or Open
Office writer.
I do not speak, understand nor use the Cyrillic language. I receive the
translations and will set up pages with images.

I and one other person will be the only people who can make alterations
and both versions have to be compared and approved by management.

When the 2 multi sites are working correctly I will eventually need to
set up sites for about 3 other translations in other languages, so which
ever drupal version I use must handle and render those also. But first I
must get the Cyrillic and English versions to a satisfactory standard.

I do not have complex drupal needs but am struggling so far.
I hope to transfer the whole thing to the server once everything is in
tact and ready to be approved.

Roger