[support] Drupal7 behind Apache reverse proxy

Marin Atanasov Nikolov dnaeon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:39:54 UTC 2011

Hello list,

I'm trying for some time already to setup Drupal 7 with Apache reverse proxy.

Here's the situation:

[ Internet ] <---> [ Firewall ] <---> [ Apache reverse proxy ]

The Apache reverse proxy is working fine with other virtual hosts I
have in my private network, but I cannot made it work with Drupal 7.

The problem as I see is that Drupal 7 returns to the clients the
absolute URLs to the clients, which includes the internal web server
hostname, and thus make it impossible for clients to actually see the
content - css, js, etc...

mod_proxy_html is of no use here, because it screws up the whole
Drupal 7 content...

I installed Drupal 6 and noticed that it returns relative URLs, so
this works with my setup, but not with Drupal 7.

Could you give me some clues/ideas/hints, what needs to be done in
order to get Drupal 7 works properly behind Apache reverse proxy?

Perhaps if I could make Drupal 7 use relative URLs, instead of
absolute ones, that would be the easier solution, but how to do this?

Thanks,
Marin

--
Marin Atanasov Nikolov