[support] Drupal 7 multi site problem

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Dec 18 23:15:11 UTC 2012

Hi
I seem to have problems getting multi sites to work.
On my home pc Fedora 16 I have latest Drupal 7 in /var/www/html
In /sites I have example.com. In example.com I have settings.php and
/files both a+w
I have not installed the base drupal as I only wish installation of
multisites.

  /etc/hosts set to 127.0.0.1 example.com localhost.localdomain localhost
  NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
ServerName localhost
</VirtualHost>

<Directory /var/www/html/example.com>
Options +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

Calling example.com gives error message :The Drupal installer requires
that you create a settings file as part of the installation process.
Copy the /./sites/default/default.settings.php/ file to
/./sites/example.com/settings.php

/What could be wrong please, I 'm really stuck as I need to understand
the process so that I can set up multisites on the centos shared server.

Help would be much appreciated
thank you.