[support] phc obfuscate / drupal 7

Tue Dec 25 16:42:39 UTC 2012

On 12/25/12 10:49 AM, Jarry wrote:
> On 25-Dec-12 16:26, Austin Einter wrote:
>> I am worried for few things.  Lets say I will be taking a dedicated
>> server say from rackspace or doster or godady and host my site as a
>> commercial one.
>>
>> I would not doubt the companies like rackspace or godady ..., but
>> difficult to believe admin engineers who may take the source code and
>> give it to somebody else for few dollars..,
> Source code of what? Drupal or some modules? Drupal is GPL-ed,
> so anybody can have it. Or your own drupal-module? I'm not sure
> but I think if you develop something for Drupal, you have to
> distribute it under the same license at no charge. So which
> php-code you want to obfuscate and why?
>
> Jarry
> ---

The GPL means that *IF* you distribute the results, you need to provide
the source, but there is no requirement to publish source if you do not
distribute your "product" (i.e. for your own use). This is good, as it
means you are not required to publish your settings.php file with your
database passwords!

This does mean that if you produce as a product a Drupal module, (I
believe) you can not just distribute it as a protected file, you need to
provide the source for it, but this is only if you distribute it.

--
Richard Damon