[support] possible to update existing field type?

Ashley Hall knowledges33ker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 12:21:54 UTC 2014

I have a custom field on my user profile pages where users can enter their Twitter user name. When the user's profile is rendered (either on the user profile page itself or via views) I would like to rewrite this field so that it links to the user's twitter profile following the patternhttp://twitter.com/[field_twitter_name].

I discovered the twitter username project on DO yesterday (https://drupal.org/project/twitter_username) and this would help me accomplish the objective, especially for new users. However, we currently have ~900 active users on our site.

Is there a way to create a new field and update its tables with the existing user's twitter names? Or is there a way to change the field type from it's current setting of "Text field" to the new type made available by the twitter username project "Twitter username"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ashley