[themes] php and learning to theme

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sat Jul 15 01:16:28 UTC 2006

As someone who learned (and is still very much learning) PHP to work
with Drupal, my recommendation is to focus on first things first:
Basic syntax. Basic commands. The various conditionals arguments,
especially. (if, elseif, case, switch)

You can gain a lot of understanding, potentially, by going through
some of the existing contributed themes and see how they approached
different things. That's a start.

Then maybe going into the theme snippets and php snippets in the
handbook would be next. Refer to your textbooks for background and
deeper understanding. (There are many online resources and books out
there. I've used the O'Reilly and Visual Quickpro Guide books, both
titled "PHP and MySQL".)

I hope this helps. My philosophy is it's best to learn by doing,
whenever possible.

Laura

pingVision, LLC
4450 Arapahoe Ave, Suite 100