[themes] Dreamweaver CS3 Extension for Drupal Themeing

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Aug 8 16:26:32 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, Ram Dak <ramdak5000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I joined this list only because I saw this thread. Not that I am a drupal
> wizard running a 1000 sites, but it immediately struck a chord.
>
> Like many other people, I have found creating a drupal template
> intimidating, but I can handle Dreamweaver reasonably well. In fact, at one
> point of time last year, I was ready to dump drupal in frustration, so I
> went looking for and purchased Project Seven's dreamweaver template
> extensions. They come with superb guides that tell you how to customize
> them. All I had to do was to learn a bit of Fireworks to customize the
> images in the templates and I was immediately more productive than I had
> ever been with drupal.Today, even a charity doesn't want a plain looking
> site, despite all the power that drupal has under the hood.
>
> I think  the only people capable of taking this project and seeing this
> through are CivicSpace.

Thanks, I was just offering to help gather requirements and get the chipin
widget going.  I think I would leave it to Peter and others to identify
capable developers to complete the extension.

I also think that the $3k is too steep- for example, the Project Seven
> templates are not more than $90 and they are truly terrific. Of course, the
> end price doesn't reflect the development costs, so the point is moot.

I don't think we are talking about individual templates.  I think we are
talking about something that magically takes DreamWeaver output and converts
it into a Drupal theme.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I personally think that if the module is made available as a commercial
> module, designers familiar with DW and looking to bridge the gap would
> really make a beeline for it. Is there space within the drupal ecosystem for
> such commercial offerings?

Not in Drupal.  While some people believe there should be proprietary Drupal
modules, there are not accepted by the Drupal community to be distributed.
You'll get nasty mail defending Drupal's GPL and opinions that is covers
distributing compatible modules as well.  Joomla has recently taken this
stance as well.

I don't know if I will be in a position to donate to the project, but I just
> wanted to voice my strong support for such a project.

Ok, well helping us with requirements would be a significant contribution.

Kieran

Thanks,
> venkat-rk on drupal.org
>

> *Peter Apokotos <drupal at apokotos.com>* wrote:
>

> On Aug 7, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Cary Gordon wrote:
>
> There is a lot more to Dreamweaver than the wysiwyg aspect. it is very
> handy when working with complex cascades like those that can occur in
> Drupal.
>
> That said, I still don't get what Peter is looking for here.
>
> Cary
>

> I just want a tool that will be kept up to date with Drupals' theme and
> CSS requirements so I don't have to redundantly create the basic files for
> each tpl file.
> With being disabled it is very hard for me to keep focus on what I am
> doing and because of the pain I am in I often make mistakes.  Before the
> accident I could make drupal phptemplates fine.
> But why go through the hassle if a tool can be made for Dreamweaver that
> will give me more time writing material than making templates for my 180+
> domain names?  And on top of that I am the type of person that may change a
> template one day or week to week.  I get bored easily.
>
> Peter

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.