[themes] Creating and updating theme

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Tue Aug 19 09:33:16 UTC 2008

Vishakha Tambe wrote:
>   I am vey new person using drupal. I am just trying to update the
> existing drupl theme. But i have achieved only changing the background
> color. I want to give complete new look to the theme. Can anybody help
> me out? I've tried taking help on google, all efforts were in vain.

Drupal theme's are built using HTML and CSS (with a smattering of PHP and
Javascript), you need to start by learning those basics.

Some tutorials:
http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

Some references:
http://reference.sitepoint.com/html
http://reference.sitepoint.com/css

And when you have a grasp of the basics then look at the Drupal theme
handbook for version 5:
http://drupal.org/theme-guide/5

or 6:
http://drupal.org/theme-guide