[themes] DRUPAL & HTML 5

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jul 20 05:15:58 UTC 2009

On Sunday 19 July 2009 8:36:47 pm Bushidodeep wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've taken DRUPAL as the CMS of choice, it's robust and pretty
> standards compliant.
> Are there plans to upgrade to HTML 5, or will DRUPAL 7 hold to XHTML?
>

> CK

I've seen no discussion of moving to HTML 5 officially, as HTML 5 is not even
finalized yet, likely won't be for some time, and support for it is still hit-
or-miss across features and browsers.

That said, HTML 5 has an XML-friendly version, as far as I understand, and
there's certainly nothing stopping a module or theme from using HTML 5-specific
tags.  So if you wanted to, for example, develop a module that used the
<video> tag, Drupal won't get in your way.  The page would not validate
against an XHTML validator, but that's to be expected.  You could also specify
an HTML 5 doctype in your page.tpl.php for your theme and everything should
still keep working, too.

--
Larry Garfield
larry at garfieldtech.com