[themes] How much php knowledge required?

sebastian inforazor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 05:18:06 UTC 2010

At least some php is required.

You will need to learn how to create a basic page.tpl.php file, and you
may need to write a few functions in a file named template.php for
anything you do that is non-standard.

Otherwise, Views [and possibly Panels] are your friend. Within views you
may need to "theme" it, using yet more php files, so that you can
eventually use CSS to style your website.

If you can modify a theme by just changing the related CSS, then this is
the route to take if you want to avoid PHP. However, many themes are
extremely painful to theme in this manner, and Zen is no exception [imho].

As illogical as it may seem, building a theme from scratch is, for me at
least, the easiest and most logical and straight forward. And this is
coming from someone who learned PHP by learning Drupal.

My suggestion would be to check out two things:

1. Check out how other themes are built, and look at the files in the
theme folder... does any of it make sense? does it look complicated to you?

2. Look for a video tutorial on "how to make a theme". There are free
ones out there, what got me to a strong start was this video:

http://mustardseedmedia.com/podcast/episode24

This video was unquestionably what launched me in full-force towards
becoming a highly proficient drupal themer. So you can't go wrong
starting with this video [and then afterwards, watch all the other
videos they have to offer, lots of interesting stuff there - though I am
sure some of it may be getting dated]

Good luck,