[themes] tabbed menu

Oliver Acheson oacheson at acheson.org
Thu Dec 22 18:15:21 UTC 2011

Hi, Gabrielle,

If you google "customize garland theme in drupal" you can find lots of
information, but here are a couple of points to consider:

1) the consensus is that garland is difficult to customize (I have not
tried) and that it is far easier to customize a theme that was designed to
be customized, e.g., zen or framework or blueprint. I use zen and
customizing it takes some time but is relatively straightforward. Follow
the instructions for making a sub-theme and remember google is your friend.
2) if you decide to stick with garland, make sure you make a clean copy of
garland to /sites/all/themes and modify that copy. Drupal will use that
modified copy without disturbing the system version of it. That is where
you would install zen also if you decide to go with a sub-theme based on
zen.
3) It looks like style.css would be the file to modify in garland.
4) if you go the zen sub-theme route, then you modify
/sites/all/themes/[subthemename]/[subthemename].css where you substitute
your sub-theme name for the bracketed value.

It will be moderately puzzling at first, but gradually you will get
control. Be sure to disable all of the caching options on the performance
page during development. Otherwise the effects of changes may get lost for
a while in the caching system.

Good luck.

Ollie