[translations] Is Kbabel dead? Re: [Kbabel] How to merge translations for a non-KDE project

Augustin beginner2005 at masquilier.org
Mon Dec 31 08:21:05 UTC 2007

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your reply: it was very useful.

On Thursday 27 December 2007 17:44, Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
> > Here is what I have:
> > an new, empty fr.po (copy of updated .pot file)
> > an old, partially translated fr-old.po
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/scripts/merge.sh?revision=749
>704&view=markup

That was what I was looking for :)
I added this to our documentation.
http://drupal.org/node/205049

I had to compile the latest gettext, though. I had the version 0.14
which doesn't have msgmerge  with the --previous option.
gettext 0.16 is good.
If you have SVN access, you might add a note on the dependency in
merge.sh script.

> also, you can use KAider
> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/200
>7/Projects/KAider (it needs KDE4) -- KBabel successor. particularly,
> it has viewer of the difference between current msgid and previous
> one (i.e. msgid translation of which current msgstr really is --
> for fuzzies generated with --previous gettext option). you will
> really like that feature.
>
> Feel free to request any features that you want to be implemented
> in KAider,
> and share yor ideas on improving KAider for non-KDE translation.

It sounds kool.
I have added KAider to our list:
http://drupal.org/node/11131

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it soon, as I am currently still
using KDE3. I'll probably get KDE4 with the next Debian stable
version.

Say: is Kbabel officially no longer supported?
On the kbabel site, there still is the 'port to KDE4' on its roadmap.

If KAider is officially the replacement for Kbabel, why not keep the
name Kbabel (which I find much better).

My first and currently only feature request for KAider, is a good,
useful documentation. Kbabel might be a good tool, but its
documentation only documents the obvious (like for many KDE
applications) and as such it is pretty useless.

Thank Nick for your help and your contribution to KDE :)

Happy New Year. (less than 8 hours to countdown here).

Blessings,

Augustin.

--
Augustin