[translations] Managing a translation team and translation workflow

Erik Stielstra info at erikstielstra.nl
Sun Oct 23 17:03:12 UTC 2011

The Dutch translation team has 412 members of which 211 contributors, 2 community managers and self moderator, 23 community moderators.
26777 translated strings, 1052 awaiting approval.

Anyone can join the Dutch team, the Community moderator role is assigned to people who have shown to be good translators. We give preference to quality over quantity. We maintain a style guide and word list as wiki pages and have a page about the procedure of contributing translations. Despite these instruction efforts the vast majority of the beginning translators make the same kind of mistakes. Feedback to translators is how we try to improve the quality of individual translators, but it is a time consuming effort.

Translations sprints seem to be an effective way to activate translators. Translations come in as a steady stream but approval is a bottleneck. Last week we held our first "translation approval sprint". It was very effective! Approximately 2800 waiting string were processed by 6 people during a one day sprint.

Erik Stielstra