[consulting] Customer Relationship Management software

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Apr 14 17:18:38 UTC 2006

On 14-Apr-06, at 9:50 AM, Harry Slaughter wrote:

> Clara Hurst wrote:
>> Harry Slaughter wrote:
>>> There are lots of apps out there that 'sorta work'.
>>>
>> You might want to take a look at this place:
>> http://www.secondsite.biz/
>> Similar concept as bascamphq.com, but instead of doing project
>> mgmt it supports invoice/billing/ticketing for small business.
>> Clara
>
> signed up and am checking it out. looks strong in the billing area,
> weak in the ticket tracking area.

I wish they hadn't added the ticketing/files/etc. -- their billing is
great (although BlinkSale now has an API, so you should check that
out as well), but I find the mediocre extra functionality detracts
from the strengths of the main project. I would use secondsite +
Basecamp before I would use secondsite for everything.

> one thing i notice with all these apps is that they all have a very
> specific way of looking at things. you can't really add/remove/
> customize components of the system.
>
> one of my clients uses quickbase.com for ticket tracking. i don't
> really like it, but i love the concept of a designable database
> interface. one where the user defines all the components, not the
> software.

Yes. This is the promise of things like CCK etc. and other programs
which take this approach....the user can be the programmer.

DabbleDB.com is a fully configurable way of doing this. It is in
private beta right now, built by some guys here in Vancouver (they
presented at OSCMS Summit on Smalltalk...which DabbleDB is written in).

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595