[consulting] Reverse Bounty: og2list - mailing list support for Organic Groups

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Apr 27 17:36:54 UTC 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 6:07 AM, Neil McEvoy wrote:

>> We think og2list will be a very important contribution of critical
>> functionality to the Drupal project. While we are living in the age
>> of "Web 2.0" web-application innovation, most collaboration that
>> takes part in online communities is still facilitated through
>> mailinglists.
>
> Very much agreed. Couple o questions:
>
> - Is Dgroups something that fulfils these requirements?
>
> (http://wikis.bellanet.org/floss-dgroups/index.php/
> Dgroups_installation)

OG2List initial development was funded by Dgroups to replace their
existing infrastructure.  Those pages were written by Angela Byron,
aka webchick, as part of the first phase of development for OG2List.

> - Is there some jiggery pokery that could be done with mailhandler
> etc to achieve the same kinda thing?

The key here is which exact use cases are you trying to meet.
CivicSpaceLabs.org has integrated their mailing list based on Qmail
and Ezmlm with Forums for a couple of years now using mailhandler.
However, this does not meet our need for groups to automatically get
a mailing list, with out an administrator creating a mailing list
behind the scenes manually.

> - Just reviewed the thread discussing on going development of OG,
> and I'm
> wondering if perhaps another perspective is to look at
> automated/integrated installs of full Drupals.

Yes, OG2List was also developed with the intention of deploying
mailing lists for organic groups as part of a drupal group events
service.  We have deployed this solution on top of the hostmaster
provisioning system to create Drupal sites which follow a specific
profile.  We are seeking support to complete the integration of
OG2List working for one site and one mail transfer agent to many
sites and one mail transfer agent.  We currently support Exim and
Postfix and believe it could quickly be set to support other MTAs.

> Ie much of the direction seems to be (understandably) to give sub-
> communities as much full functionality as possible. Networks within
> networks and all that, where the key aspect is that users can
> easily provision and use them on site.

Right, the primary design requirements for OG2List was tight
integration with Drupal and dynamic creation of groups with an
integrated mailing list.
> Therefore it's like evolving OG to be a mini Drupal within a
> Drupal, so to
> speak, and so perhaps there's an argument for having a feature where
> instead you simply provision a full Drupal install to be sub-part
> of an
> existing community, in the same way..?

I'll leave this one to the philosophers....but sure each drupal site
is actual URI in a node in one big Drupal site in the sky.

> It could be pre-configured with all the required modules/features,
> and that way they would get all the functionality they want?

Yep, want a demo?

Kieran