[consulting] Proper Collections Procedure

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Sun Aug 20 08:27:32 UTC 2006

Michael
Happy to hear you got paid.
Sorry that you did not find a positive mutual agreement. After all good
client relationships are very important.

I guess most of us can learn from each others experiences.

My thoughts:

Open Source and the aggressive business environment we work in - are
conflicting.
We work on trust, and tend to believe in each other. In the Open Source
community people who deliver on their promise, and who take part in the
work get the higher authority.
In Drupal developers have a high standing - because they actually build
the software that we all benefit from.

In traditional business we have contracts, requirements specs., and we
have change requests. This world is based on rules, law and legal rights.
This is often percieved as TOO MUCH documentation - when you start out
on a simple and small project. But it is probably a good idea to do it
anyway.
I have been in computermedia and software for the past 15 years, and I
have designed solutions, webapplications, and done some of the business
related stuff too - for the past 7 years.
I just went independent, and one of my projects is EXACTLY like that. I
started it with some friends. We did a simple specs document, but not
too much - because this was the same as another project - and the
software installation was going to be identical - or at least very similar.
Now it is taking a different direction - and I have to get an agreement
in place which will make everybody happy - or at least make them agree.

I'm used to working with larger Microsoft installations or other
proprietary software. Here we have bigger budgets, and thus room to do
proper documentation without killing the project.
If you do a 5.000 dollars implementation, you can't fit all that
documentation into it.

What do you guys do?

If the client understands that he gets standard software he will
probably agree to pay for stuff which is not entirely as he dreamed of.
If he thinks it's a web design project - where the visuals and
everything is to be exactly as in the slideshow with designs that he saw
- he will bother everybody with all the nitti gritti details.

So I see two conflicts here: One between the Open Source community world
- where trust is good - and the business world where documentation is king.
The other between standard software implementation (which is what Drupal
is really about) - and the traditional Web Agency web design world of
the dot com hey day - where cool design ruled, and clients paid millions
to "move an image one pixel to the right".
If the client expects to have that kind of control, and you sell him a
standard software project, you're bound to get into trouble. (and it
does not just go for visual design but also for interaction design)

Do you agree?
If so - what can you do?

Best
Gunnar