[consulting] Proper Collections Procedure

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sun Aug 20 17:55:09 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> substandard work. Anyone here is capable of paying Dun&Bradstreet (or
> similar services) to check on the financial reliability of potential
> clients; do you really want to be in the credit research business when
> others already specialize in it?
>
> If the issue is not so much the desire to collect information, but an
> inability to afford the services of those who do, that's a very
> different (and arguably far easier to solve) issue. Perhaps the answer
> is not for this group to engage in gathering credit information, which
> is not only a non-core-competency with significant legal risks -- but
> rather, to pool resources in order to contract an established company
> that does these things.

Excellent point, and I would modify my previous position based on having
considered this.

It makes more sense to hire businesses who already do this kind of information
collecting, let them handle the libel, etc. risks as they already do, and
perhaps just form an association that can buy it for members at a discount or
as a shared resource.

For a long time, I was a member of AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots
Association, a very large organization of private aircraft and private pilots
primarily in the USA).  AOPA did exactly these kinds of things for members:
they negotiated discounted life and aircraft insurance, provided legal
services, provided aircraft valuations and title research, etc. most of which
was hired or contracted through third parties who actually specialized in
those services.  It made those services much more affordable and easily
obtained by members.

Buy versus build.  :-)