Report Back, Notes, Script and Audio (was Re: [consulting] Drupal Professionals Shop Conference Call

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Wed Mar 1 15:12:31 UTC 2006

Is there a reason that this marketplace.drupal.org can not be hosted
at the OSL facility at OSU like the current drupal.org hardware?

Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> writes:

 %
 % On 01 Mar 2006, at 01:19, Gregory Heller wrote:
 % > We had somewhere between 16 and 21 folks on the call and the irc.
 % > We kept the call to just about 90 minutes.
 % > And if you weren't there and want to listen, you can!  I recorded it
 % > into 3 mp3 files each 30 minutes long (using audiohijack pro and
 % > skype)
 % >
 % > The IRC log and the call notes are both available too
 % >
 % > For the sake of expedience, I posted all up on my blog
 % > http://www.civicactions.com/node/268
 %
 % I've given this some more thought.  I do applaud the idea of having a
 % market place, however, maintaining such a site is a significant
 % amount of work and not something the current infrastructure team has
 % time for.  Here are some of my conclusions:
 %
 %    1. I do think we should use the domain marketplace.drupal.org.
 %    2. I don't think it is necessary to host it on drupal.org hardware.
 %    3. I do think we should prominently link to the drupal.org user
 % profiles (and that we improve the drupal.org user profiles as
 % necessary).
 %
 % Personally, I think I'd happier if this was hosted and maintained by
 % a separate team on different hardware as long we use the
 % marketplace.drupal.org domain.
 %
 % By doing so we avoid that the maintenance, upgrades and day-to-day
 % operation of the site becomes a task of the infrastructure team.  At
 % the same time, we have the power to turn off the subdomain if things
 % fail which seems like an appropriate demand in exchange for making
 % this the official Drupal market place and making it readily
 % accessible from the drupal.org website.
 %
 % --
 % Dries Buytaert  ::  http://www.buytaert.net/
 % consulting mailing list