Report Back, Notes, Script and Audio (was Re: [consulting] Drupal Professionals Shop Conference Call

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:39:53 UTC 2006

On 01 Mar 2006, at 01:19, Gregory Heller wrote:
> We had somewhere between 16 and 21 folks on the call and the irc.
> We kept the call to just about 90 minutes.
> And if you weren't there and want to listen, you can!  I recorded it
> into 3 mp3 files each 30 minutes long (using audiohijack pro and
> skype)
>
> The IRC log and the call notes are both available too
>
> For the sake of expedience, I posted all up on my blog
> http://www.civicactions.com/node/268

I've given this some more thought.  I do applaud the idea of having a
market place, however, maintaining such a site is a significant
amount of work and not something the current infrastructure team has
time for.  Here are some of my conclusions:

   1. I do think we should use the domain marketplace.drupal.org.
   2. I don't think it is necessary to host it on drupal.org hardware.
   3. I do think we should prominently link to the drupal.org user
profiles (and that we improve the drupal.org user profiles as
necessary).

Personally, I think I'd happier if this was hosted and maintained by
a separate team on different hardware as long we use the
marketplace.drupal.org domain.

By doing so we avoid that the maintenance, upgrades and day-to-day
operation of the site becomes a task of the infrastructure team.  At
the same time, we have the power to turn off the subdomain if things
fail which seems like an appropriate demand in exchange for making
this the official Drupal market place and making it readily
accessible from the drupal.org website.