[consulting] requirement -> new module development?

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Mar 1 18:12:44 UTC 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Greg Knaddison wrote:

> The piece of functionality that I'm not sure how to implement is an
> appointment system.  Here are the basic requirements for this system:

These seem like good extension to event management: http://drupal.org/
node/50287

> 1. Unregistered customers can submit a request for an appointment
> where they select the start time and enter some information including
> email, phone, and details about their appointment.  In this case it is
> an automotive shop, but the details of the form should be flexible.

This is similar to what we do with Volunteer and custom profiles from
CiviCRM.

> 2. The shop is presented with a view that shows current appointments
> and requested appointments.

Event Calendar.  We would be interested in exploring access control
for calendars, in particular for users and organic groups.

> 3. At any time the shop or the customer can either cancel or
> reschedule the appointment.

This seems like functionality that should be extended or done using
the new sign-up APIs.

> 4. The customer should be emailed about any change to the appointment
> and should also be able to track the appointment status online.

Similar to sign-up.

> 5. The shop should have the option of being emailed every time there
> is a change or just viewing queues of appointments within the site.

We have something like this as part of the volunteer overview.

> I got pretty far implementing this in 4.7 with the event module and
> flexinode.  The pieces of functionality I didn't get quite right were
> the parts about emailing and the part where event requires you to
> enter the start /and/ end time, but in this case the end time is
> predetermined by the start time - all appointments take a half hour.

I don't think these base modules meet your needs but they could have
APIs you could extend for your custom module. Let me know if that
approach is interesting.

> There are other features that could be useful, like
> -only showing the customer times that don't conflict with other
> appointments
> -use a "threshhold" to determine if a time is available (for something
> like a spa where they can take 3 massage reservations at a given time)
> -requiring at least X number of hours advanced notice (e.g. users
> can't schedule an appointment for 5 minutes from the current time)
>
> Is anyone aware of a way this can be implemented with current Drupal
> modules?  If not, is anyone interested in working on this together?

Interested in working on it.  There is going to be an event
management IRC chat announced today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Kieran