[consulting] List Mom Policies

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Thu Mar 16 04:02:09 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

>> For more details -
>> http://www.limov.com/journal/?jm=2&e=1061
>>
>> I even live in the US and have taken classes in US corporate law and
>> I'm amazed that it applies to mailing lists.
>
> Wow. Thanks for that. I'm now even more thankful that I live in Canada.
> Not that that protects me, apparently.
>
> --
> Boris Mann

I'd be surprised if Canada did not have a similar law.

It all stems from the Sherman Antitrust Act, which helped finally break up
most of the industry monopolies resulting from the robber barons.  Despite
has that even made it to court to get a precedent yet? -- the intent is good:
  it protects consumers and small companies.

If not for the Sherman Act, you would buy all of your computers and software
from IBM, all of your gasoline from Standard Oil and all of your telephone
service from AT&T, and you'd "like it" too.*  Even in Canada.

Of course, we here in the USA are busily working on returning to the bad old
days, but never mind that!  :-p

We live in interesting times.

Chris

*for those who didn't catch the humor, it's like telling someone "you'll eat
cold porridge for dinner, and you'll like it, too!"