[consulting] List Mom Policies

JasonN imjasonn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 04:16:24 UTC 2006

> "A famous story locally in Washington DC involved a group (substitute
> 'guild') of real-estate brokers who went out to dinner together to
> celebrate a birthday of one of them. At the end of the dinner, one broker
> announced that he was raising his commission from 5% to 6% and wanted them
> to hear it from him before reading about it in the trade press. No further
> discussion ensued. Over the next year, several of the others also raised
> their commissions to 6%. All of them were indicted, even those who did not
> raise their prices, for price fixing. Criminal indictments, I might add."
>
> http://www.aip.org/hypermail/guild/0425.html
>
> I am not a lawyer. Heck I am not even a USA citizen. I just quote.

LOL

< going off topic for entertainment purposes - please excuse or delete :) >

Well, I never accused American prosecutors of acting universally
within the law, or even decently.  We all know there are such cases
where people are prosecuted for silly reasons, often for political
hay.  But, if the people who didn't even raise their rates were
pursued, I am positive they weren't successfully prosecuted.  The
definition of the law requires them to "PRICE FIX."

I can tell you a story of a man who bought a car in Alabama (my home
state) and won a settlement of more than two million dollars because
they didn't tell him it had a touch-up paint job.  I can tell you
another (real) story of a CEO that headed a company during millions in
fabricated profits, went to trial, was caught dead to rights, and got
off clean.  Anyone remember OJ?  Do you really think he didn't do it?
What about Robert Blake?  OK, not to start a political discussion.
But, you all know someone in America that got caught doing something
nasty and didn't go to jail for it.  Conversely, there's tons of
stories of innocent people getting the shaft for stuff that was
totally innocent.  There's always stories of travesties of justice.

But, seriously.  Don't let the government bully you around through
innuendo and blatantly misleading use or explanation of the law.  The
IRS commonly applies tax code that doesn't exist.  Prosecutors in
America are elected, and often reflect political motivations in their
pursuits instead of good qualified legal jurisprudence.  But, we have
a good overall legal system.  People don't often receive convictions
that are completely asinine.  And, sometimes you just have to stand up
for decency.  We still have FREEDOM OF SPEECH in this country.  I
exercise mine.

Just remember... Joe McCarther lost.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_McCarthy

--

Jason A. Nunnelley