[consulting] Drupal server requirements

Clara Hurst lists at ondemand-network.com
Sun Mar 26 16:18:50 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

We are writing a proposal for a client site with potential of  100,000
unique visitors per months.  The registered site users can be ranging
from a few thousands to 10,000.   However, we expect at any given time
there might be only up to a couple hundreds active users logged in,  the
activities that the logged in users will do will mainly be:  posting
content, private messaging/contacting each others and downloading some
white papers from the site etc.   We will use Organic Groups module so
user roles are controlled via OG, we will also have multi-lingual
support in the near future.

We have not built any large drupal sites before, although there are some
posts on the drupal.org but still feel very unease in terms of coming up
with a set of server capacity requirements, any pointers or suggestions
will be greatly appreciated. We are thinking of the following dedicate
server configuration as a start, are we on track or too far off?

- Intell 3.2 GHz P4 processor
- 2GB RAM
- plenty disk space
- RAID 1 for redundancy