[consulting] Drupal server requirements

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Mar 26 18:26:40 UTC 2006

Clara Hurst wrote:

> We are writing a proposal for a client site with potential of  100,000
> unique visitors per months.  The registered site users can be ranging
> from a few thousands to 10,000.   However, we expect at any given time
> there might be only up to a couple hundreds active users logged in,

You mean they actually logged in and do something or there is just an
active session hanging around in the database? This is a major difference.

>   the activities that the logged in users will do will mainly be:
> posting content, private messaging/contacting each others and
> downloading some white papers from the site etc.   We will use Organic
> Groups module so user roles are controlled via OG,

No, node access  is controlled via OG. :p

> we will also have multi-lingual support in the near future.
>
> We have not built any large drupal sites before, although there are
> some posts on the drupal.org but still feel very unease in terms of
> coming up with a set of server capacity requirements, any pointers or
> suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We are thinking of the
> following dedicate server configuration as a start, are we on track or
> too far off?
>
> - Intell 3.2 GHz P4 processor
> - 2GB RAM
> - plenty disk space
> - RAID 1 for redundancy

If you really have 100eds of active users doing stuff, it looks to me
like it very likely will not suffice. I am not an expert, though.
Drupal.org runs on better hardware (own db server for example) and has
not as many really active users.

Cheers,
    Gerhard