[consulting] Drupal server requirements

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Tue Mar 28 14:35:16 UTC 2006

Lists wrote:
> "Chris Johnson" wrote:
>> There are quite a few "knobs and levers" that one can change in MySQL to tune
>> its performance.

> These suggestions, while certainly useful, are applicable only to a small
> percentage of the CMS administrator population.

> In the typical Drupal user's world, where virtual hosting would be the norm,
> then your suggestions are not particular applicable.

This topic thread was started by Clara Hurst, who was asking about server
hardware specifications for a site her company is writing a proposal for.  I
was addressing that general category of question (sizing hardware, choice of
database), not the "typical Drupal user."  In Clara's case, I would guess they
most certainly are able to tweak anything and everything.

This thread should not be turned into a discussion about Drupal development
which will support this typical Drupal user, i.e. this comment: "Drupal, in my
opinion, should struggle to maintain a core set of functionality that will run
_well_ and _quickly_ under the most common virtual hosted arrangements."  I,
in fact, agree 100% with that comment -- Drupal should strive for that kind of
efficient performance.  I worry about bloat in Drupal core all the time.  In
fact, one can note that most of my recent patches to core were all optimizations.

But in fairness to Clara and others interested in the original topic, I think
that's a discussion for another thread, and most probably it should take place
in the Development forum, not here on the Consulting list.  And I would be
happy to join it there.

..chrisxj