[consulting] Current state of newsletter systems

Rob Barreca rob at electronicinsight.com
Mon Nov 27 22:04:00 UTC 2006

I'm currently working on a complete audit of simplenews as the code is
pretty hairy. FAPI wasn't being properly used, there was no clean API,
lots of code style errors, namespace conflicts ("sn_"), convoluted
variable names/logic, etc. (Sorry if I'm offending anyone here, don't
mean to be.)

I'm also working on a complete rewrite of the simplenews_roles module
which will allow syncing a mailing list with users in particular roles.
I've already spent about 8 hours on this and it's going to take quite a
bit more, but I will post a huge patch when I'm done so DriesK and
anyone else can take a look.

After this is done, extending simplenews to do more complex tasks will
be much, much easier as we'll actually be able to use hook_form_alter()
and some other goodies. And, the port to D5 will be way easier as well!

And if anyone is interested in contributing to this effort, please
contact me off the list. :)

Rob Roy Barreca
Founder and COO
Electronic Insight Corporation