[consulting] Current state of newsletter systems

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon Nov 27 22:25:26 UTC 2006

Rob Barreca wrote:
> I'm currently working on a complete audit of simplenews as the code is
> pretty hairy. FAPI wasn't being properly used, there was no clean API,
> lots of code style errors, namespace conflicts ("sn_"), convoluted
> variable names/logic, etc. (Sorry if I'm offending anyone here, don't
> mean to be.)
>
> I'm also working on a complete rewrite of the simplenews_roles module
> which will allow syncing a mailing list with users in particular roles.

Please get your terminology right:

1) Newsletter: no reply by the subscribers to the group.
2) Mailing list: replies to all subscribers through the list.

Simplenews does a rather good job on drupal.org. We use it to mail the
security and other announcements to in total 10k subscribers.

Cheers,
	Gerhard