[consulting] Consultants that have deployed healthcare-related Drupal projects

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Apr 18 07:34:33 UTC 2007

Op woensdag 18 april 2007, schreef Boris Mann:
> Hi all:
>
> I've been getting more regular contacts from people around the world
> interested in the intersection of Drupal and healthcare.
>
> Anyone out there have a specialization in healthcare and/or pointers
> to live Drupal sites that show healthcare? I remember seeing some
> e-health using big taxonomy based systems several years back, but
> can't find it ATM.

I'm involved in two large projects, one in Drupal and one in Ruby on Rails.
None of wich are public, but I can send you some screenshots if you wish.

The Drupal one is a system that allows Doctors to order healthcare at/from the
so called 'thuiszorg', for wich AFAIKS there is no US counterpart.

In a nutshell the conclusion here, is that Drupal was not the best choise.

Healthcare organisations are often large. And in any case, they are "stuck" in
very complex, and very streight workflows and requirements. Moulding Drupal
to fit exactly in these workflows, to couple Drupal to existing databases and
sources, and to make drupal fit within the *exact* requirements is a very
very tough job. Such a toucgh job that its just as easy to develop a custom
system, maybe based on some libraries in Drupal, or maybe built in something
like cakePHP, jBoss or Ruby on Rails. Rather then spending 90% of the
time/budget/effort on making Drupal do tricks it does not want or like to do.

There surely are exceptions, but in general I think Drupal and healtcare don't
make a good marriage. Simply because healthcare has such inflexible
requirements and workflows.

Bèr
--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl