[consulting] Video Conferencing?

Katherine Lawrence katherine at pingv.com
Fri Aug 24 15:10:46 UTC 2007

I would like to comment on this. Most of my experience with video
conferencing was while working with Gemini Consulting
http://www.geminiconsulting.net/ where we had frequent client meetings
with 10 people at each site. It was a novelty at first with high
expectations and it did work, but after a time we used the system less
and less. The technology was not as transparent as we had hoped. The
video was still video and it did not span the miles, but more than that,
as the number of people on each end decreased, so did our desire to use
the system. For example, it started to seem silly for three people on
one end to crank up the system to talk with three or fewer on the other end.

I suppose the webcams we all have are like that. At first they were fun,
but later they just sit there.

In the long run, Skype works for us ... even from desk-to-desk within
our offices. It is less disruptive to people who are in-the-groove. What
Laura Scott, our President and Creative Director, has observed is that
people have four basic periods throughout the day when people get into
the groove. These periods depend on the specific person's own
biorhythms. For example, I've noticed that if there is a mid-morning
meeting that breaks the groove, it is hard to get restarted. It's as if
I have to wait for the next biorhythm cycle to focus in. Thus limiting
disruptions and the scale of the disruptions is key. Moreover, the
remote developers we have are pretty knowledgeable and so far we have
resisted over-communication with them. Just describe what needs to get
done and they get to it.

Our best times with the virtual people are at the big gatherings.

We're all very excited about Barcelona.