[consulting] to fix a major limitation of Drupal design

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Sun Aug 26 22:23:49 UTC 2007

Quoting George Por <George at Community-Intelligence.com>:

George,

> What negative consequences could it imply if the non-trivial part would
> remain unaddressed?

In comparison to nodecomment it wouldn't allow you to use all the node
related module or for instance add additional fields using CCK (but I
am not sure if you can  just display comment with views, you probably
can!). If I were you I might consider using nodecomment with CCK and a
free tagging category/field and that would solve your problem without
any development. If you already have comments you can pay someone to
copy the comments to a cck node, which again is trivial. It is,
however, a more messier solution to use the nodecomment approach than
to develop a trivial module using hook_comment in the long run as if
someone abandons node_comment or abandons other features of CCK that
you get used to you will have to pay for those to be developed -- your
entire comment system would go out of whack until the problem was
addressed. In the case of a trivial module and considering what's
involved, it shouldn't be too difficult to update it and carry it
along -- but again you will bare those costs. Other than the points
above, the non-trivial approach shouldn't cause you much of a problem
if all you
want to do is tag a comment and have the tags show up later. On each
update the tagging is the only thing that will disappear from comments
until the module is updated to whichever version of Drupal you are
using. In any case, give nodecomment a try first, and think about the
future of whatever you're trying to doing.

Regards,
Sami Khan