[consulting] to fix a major limitation of Drupal design

Mariano Barcia mariano.barcia at colaborativa.net
Sun Aug 26 23:52:44 UTC 2007

George, all,

A month ago, this very same problem arised doing consulting for a customer,
and we solved it (not without effort) by using nodecomment module, which was
still beta but usable.

I had this in background, now I see this is a topic of general interest, I
can express myself freely :-)

In my opinion, if we are talking about a community, and about "user is the
content", then feedback is key from many points of view.

To divide between a post and the comments to that post is to establish a
barrier between the author and the readers/commenters, which is more like a
Web 1.0 approach, and can be seen in many good CMS systems. It just doesn't
help feedback, and doesn't help build/promote sensation of community. It is
just too structured, and if I make a comment, it just doesn't have the
status of a post (when many many times, comments are much more interesting
than the post itself).

I believe there are many Drupal installations out there that are OK with a
1.0 approach but I don't think that makes Drupal powerful (or what Drupal
does best, not to mention all those Drupal Web 0.2 installations ;-) ).

So, I'm not talking here whether comments can have tags or not, or how they
get displayed in the tracker page. I'm saying that Drupal shouldn't
distinguish between a comment and a post. A comment just has a "motivator"
online (a post), and a post is spontaneous. But.. actually, a post did have
a motivator, just that it was from the outside.

For now, nodecomment helps a lot, although IMO it should provide a wrapper
to let other modules (like comment_notify) do their work seamlessly (like
category does with taxonomy).

Just my 2 cents, HTH, cheers.

--mariano