[consulting] preview of a home page

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Fri Jan 5 16:20:02 UTC 2007

> Your critique is based on the assumption that the promotion method
> over-writes all of the live data with the test data.  That's the wrong
> assumption.

In general, I thought you were talking about repeating a backup
procedure in reverse which I assumed would mean that you'd be copying
back data from a database to a database, and therefore, if you copy a
database it's at best difficult to keep all of the relations updated on
such an update. So yes, you're absolutely right, I did assume that when
you went to sync the entire db in a reverse transaction.
> There are lots of promotion methods that would merge the front page
> into an existing site (whether it's via  tpl file, or a front page
> based...copy/paste the content...

Could you elaborate on the "via tpl file" method, not quite sure I get
what you're talking about? Copy and pasting content sounds more like a
plausible solution, but you'd have to essentially try out the new
content on the test server, then copy and paste via a node form to the
new site, and then sync the new db back to the old db -- which is easy
enough. So that would work in general, but it would be still a hassle
for the number of users.

Regards,
Sami